The Shelter House was the first building constructed on the 4-H Fairgrounds in 1942 by Edgar Sherbahn Construction of South Whitley, Indiana. In 2013 the Whitley County Agriculture Museum and 4-H Learning Center accepted the challenge to restore the Shelter House for use as an annex for the Museum and Mini 4-H projects. The Restoration Project has been completed and the facility has been used for many events. The building was painted, the roof replaced, new sidewalk completed, water line installed, and a new working wood cook stove has been used several times. The fieldstone fireplace has been restored and the electrical wiring has been completely replaced. New wagon wheel lights and ceiling fans have been added along with lights and flags on the fireplace. A new storage room has been built and new shelves around the top of the walls will increase the display area available.
The building is being used as a Museum Annex with Learning Centers being added for school groups and other organizations when they visit. The Mini 4-H Club has used the building for several years during the 4-H Fair and the restoration project has allowed them to continue showing their projects in this building. New shelves and display areas were built for the Mini 4-Hers to exhibit their projects. The building is also available for reunions, birthday and anniversary parties and other family events.